Yeast is a fungus which is scientifically known as Candida. This fungus lives on human skin and warm and moist areas like mouth and female genital area. Vaginal Yeast Infection or otherwise known as vaginal candidiasis is caused by Candida albicans which is often characterized by severe itching.
Yeast infection might occur in any part of human body. However, yeast infection in women mostly affects the genital area. Almost 75% of women face this problem at least once in her lifetime.
Causes of Vaginal Yeast Infection
These tiny organisms live in small numbers in our body and causes infection if grown in large number due to some reason. A healthy female genital is a home of many friendly bacteria and a small number of yeast cells or C. albicans. A friendly bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus keep C. albicans from growing out of control. If some factors affect the balance of these microorganisms, yeast might proliferate too much leading to candidiasis. A number of factors might imbalance the presence of microorganisms:
- Use of Antibiotics: Some antibiotics could annihilate friendly bacteria that protect the vagina. During or after the completion of an antibiotic course for some other health conditions like strep throat female patients often develop vaginal yeast infection.
- Steroids: Birth control pills and steroids often become the reason of this infection.
- Diabetes: Diabetes reduces the glycogen level in certain cells present in female genital area. It also raises sugar content and pH value of the chemical environment of the internal tract of female genital which encourages the growth of yeast, thereby developing candidiasis.
- Week Immune System: Some health problems such as AIDS and other factors like overuse of steroids, pregnancy, chemotherapy, etc. deteriorate immunity augmenting the risk of getting infected by yeast proliferation.
- Douche: Use of douches and feminine hygiene sprays could trigger this disorder.
- Scratches: Cuts or scratches in the female private parts might also cause infection
- Wrong Clothing: Tight undergarments which are made of some materials which block the normal evaporation of moisture from skin would increase the moisture level in the overall area providing friendly environment for yeast proliferation.
Vaginal Yeast Infection Symptoms
Vaginal yeast infection appears with some nonspecific indications which might include the following:
- Itching and burning in the vaginal and/or vulvar area (the skin that encloses female genital area).
- Swelling, rash, and soreness at the outer lips of vulvar area.
- Presence of white discharge. However, it might not be present all the time during infection. When it occurs, the discharge appears as a white, odorless, thick liquid with a texture like cottage cheese.
- Pain during sexual act.
- Painful burning sensation during urination.
If you have symptoms of yeast infection consult your doctor to know about your symptoms and examine you so as to make sure that you have got yeast infection.
Do’s and Dont’s
- One should not stay hungry for long time. Keeping stomach empty for long time could trigger causal factors of yeast infection.
- Stay away from indigestible food items and sour victuals.
- A cold water compress or cool bath would be helpful in alleviating itching.
- Wash the whole private area with normal clean water or a mild, nonperfumed soap at least once a day and afterwards dry the area properly.
- Avoid tight-fitting synthetic garments.
- A balanced diet would keep you healthy and maintain proper balance of microorganisms in female genital area.
Home Remedies for Vaginal Yeast Infection
How do you cure a vaginal yeast infection
- Soak a tampon in normal yogurt containing Lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria and introduce into the private part. Do this twice a day until the day after you get relief from the symptoms.
- Wrap a fresh clove of garlic with cheesecloth and tie it with unwaxed dental floss so that it becomes a tampon. Use it in your private part overnight. For serious infection repeat this process on twice a day basis until the day after your symptoms disappear.
- A few drops of tea tree oil on a lubricated tampon could be extremely useful remedy for yeast infection.
- Prepare a solution of potassium sorbate (1 Tbsp) in 1 cup of water. Insert a tampon into female private part and pour this solution inside to be soaked by the tampon. Leave it overnight. After repeating this process for several nights you would get rid of yeast infection.
- Prepare a douche by mixing 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 2 cups of water, and 1 garlic clove. It is also a good home remedy.
- By introducing one or two capsules of boric acid into female genital overnight and repeating this for several nights would be quite helpful in getting rid of yeast infection. For first few nights it might create some temporary feelings of burning and discomfort for some women.
Treatment of Vaginal Yeast Infection
How do you cure a Vaginal Yeast infection
Garlic (Allium sativum):
This wonder herb is a strong anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and anti-protozoan agent. A recent research has shown that allicin, the major component of garlic which is also responsible for its odor has a variety of antimicrobial activities. It is extremely effective against Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, herpes virus, and Candida. Candida is the yeast which is responsible for the traumatic yeast infection in women. Allicin reacts with Candida, destroying its structure and integrity of the cell wall, thereby annihilating the infection completely without causing any side effects.
Garlic Herbal Capsules are completely natural and highly recommended for yeast infection. They are formulated with the purest form of garlic extract so as to preserve the optimum medicinal values of garlic. This medication would undoubtedly give you relief from vaginal yeast infections in no time.