Acidity is one of most frequent problem faced by the people of any age limit throughout the world. Although occasional acidity and heartburn do not possess serious threat; however, chronic or frequent cases of acidity could bring about severe consequences and early management is extremely important in those cases. Let us briefly discuss what acidity is, what the symptoms are, and how it could be prevented successfully.
What is Acidity
Acidity is mainly related to the excess exudation of gastric juice by the gastric glands of the stomach. Gastric juice carries hydrochloric acid which facilitates breaking down of food stuffs during digestion and ensures proper digestive process. However, due to certain physiological reasons stomach produces excess amount of acid which causes irritation of the inner layer of gastrointestinal system causing epigastric burning pain. Sometimes this overmuch acid leaks back into gullet causing inflammation and heartburn. This exasperated condition is known as acidity, acid reflux, or gastroesopohageal reflux disease.
Why Do You Experience Acidity
Various circumstances are responsible behind the formation of excess acid in our stomach.
- Intake of excessive oily, rich, and spicy food triggers acidity
- Consuming ample alcohol on a regular basis or excessive smoking harms stomach lining thereby stimulating excess production of acid
- Intake of food items which contain high fat content such as chocolate, milkcream, etc. found to encourage the production of excess stomach acid
- Skipping breakfast regularly or staying devoid of food and keeping your stomach empty for longer period would certainly cause acidity and heartburn
- Consuming food items very fast without chewing them properly might cause indigestion and acidity.
- Mental stress and anxiety hampers proper digestion process causing acidity
- Too much refined diets which do not contain enough fiber ingredients often lead to acidity
- Gastro-duodenal or peptic ulcer and reflex spasmodic contraction of the pylorus for any reason cause hyperacidity
- Fermentation of organic acids namely lactic acid, acetic acid, and butyric acid causes acidity
All of these causal factors enhance acid concentration in the stomach creating enhanced acidity with regurgitation or reflux of acid into the throat which in turn results in inflamed esophagus and heartburn.
General Symptoms of Acidity
Most common indications of acidity are
- Heartburn, burning chest pain behind sternum for a longer period
- Gas formation and pain in stomach
- Dyspepsia and abdominal pain are the most common symptoms
- Formation of ulcer in esophagus and stomach
- Vomiting tendency, coughing, reluctance for food, etc. in case of children
How to Alleviate This Situation
The first thing that one needs to is identify the causal factor of acidity and then either avoid that circumstance or follow proper treatment procedure in order to mitigate this condition. You might follow a few guidelines to avert acidity:
- You should follow a suitable diet devoid of spicy, salty, and acidic food items
- Restrict or completely stop smoking and alcohol consumption
- Physical and emotional stress situations should be avoided
- Drugs like NSAID’s and steroids could trigger acidity and therefore should be avoided
Stop Heartburn – Heartburn Remedies
Amla – It is an extremely useful herb for preventing acidity. These are extremely effective as refrigerant, diuretic, and laxative. A regular use of amla would certainly be useful for heartburn and acidic conditions.
Haritaki: Haritaki or Terminalia chebula is one of the best natural astringents and internal cleansers. This herb is widely used to get rid of acidity and gas problems due to indigestion. It is a mild laxative and wonderful rejuvenator of intestine and stomach.
Tulsi: Holy basil or tulsi is a wonderful home remedy for acidity. By chewing a few leaves of tulsi you could get relief from acidity anytime.
Triphala: Triphala, a miraculous herbal combination, is a potent detoxifier and cleanser of internal organs. Regular use of triphala would be extremely useful in healing up disorders like chronic acidity, hyperacidity, and acid flux. It controls the proper production of gastric juice in the stomach, thereby protecting the cell lining of stomach, preventing acidity.
Radish: Add sufficient amount of salad consisting radish, carrots, and tomatoes to your daily diet chart. Radish releases chlorine which scavenges extra acidic content of stomach.Clove: It has profound effect on digestive system. Everyday after meal keep one piece of clove in your mouth and get instant relief from acidity and reduce the postimpact of acidity.
Milk: Drinking a glass of cold milk could give you quick relief from acidity and heartburn.
Mint Juice: Regularly drink fresh mint juice after milk to avoid acidity.
Useful Herbal Supplements as Heartburn Remedies
Vegetable capsules of amla, haritaki, and triphala would be extremely useful for your chronic acidity problem. These are matchless in revitalizing healthy digestive system and could successfully get you relief from acidity. These herbal products are purely natural, completely free of any side effects, and extremely easy to use.