Hypertension or high blood pressure is nothing but augmented pressure of blood on the arteries. In normal condition blood is pushed by the heart through the arteries to different parts of the body. This exerts some kind of force on the arteries which is called blood pressure. Whenever this pressure exceeds its normal level then it is called high blood pressure and a range of complications arise.
Causes of High Blood Pressure
- Hypertension occurs whenever the arteries grow stiff and narrow. Although the exact cause is still not properly explored, but a few factors might be responsible:
- Addiction in tobacco and alcoholism is often found to be responsible for raising blood pressure. Non vegetarian foods, if consumed too frequently, augment the risk of developing this disease.
- Obese people are more prone to high BP than normal. Therefore it indicates that obesity might be playing a vital role in causing this disorder. People suffering from diabetes are quite likely to develop an elevated blood pressure level.
- Increased peripheral artery resistance might also be related with a few other factors like genes, aging, over consumption of salt, lack of physical activities etc.
- Complications related with kidney and pregnancy might also make one prone to hypertension.
- Immunosuppressive and corticosteroid drugs usually tend to raise the BP level. Excessive usage of drugs like Cyclooxygenenase-two and NSAID’s might also give rise to similar conditions.
High Blood Pressure Symptoms
- The primary high blood pressure symptoms include dizziness and headache. Instances of vomiting are not very uncommon either.
- Sometimes the patient might also feel palpitations
- Simple physical activities like climbing even a few stairs etc. might cause breathing trouble. Even at times there might be serious trouble felt while standing on the same place for a long time.
- There might be body pain and chest pain
High Blood Pressure Complications
- Persistent high blood pressure might yield several complications which might even result in permanent damage to the body organs. This might include:
- Bleeding in the eyes due to capillary damage
- Myocardial infarction due to blast into any of the coronary artery
- Similar damage might also happen to the micro-structure of the kidneys resulting in renal failure
- The trouble might sometimes inflict the brain and this might cause cerebral infarct
- Patients of hypertension are also prone to another major risk which is weakness of the heart leading to heart attack
High Blood Pressure Prevention
- Since obese people bear higher risk of high blood pressure, controlling food habits and the amount of body fat is the first and essential preventive step against hypertension. The best way to fight obesity is to:
- Enhance physical activities
- Daily exercise, walking or jogging
- Fat-free diet which means avoidance of butter, cream, cheese and other fatty dairy products
- Daily diet must contain
- Low sodium
- Low fat
- Fewer calories
- Standard protein intake
- Normal cholesterol level
- Restriction in salt consumption is essential because sodium is osmogenic which means a substance that soaks water from surrounding body tissue causing an enhancement in blood volume resulting in high blood pressure.
- Amount of fibers and green salads and fruits should be increased in the daily diet of a patient of hypertension. This not only helps in fighting the root problems but also helps in regular bowel movements.
- Calcium intake is also necessary in order to strengthen the cardiac muscles
- So far as oil consumption is considered, groundnut oil is always a better choice since it contains comparatively a better ratio of poly and mono unsaturated fatty acids.
- Apart from diet, a patient of hypertension must also practice meditaion and yoga in order to stay away from depression, stress and anxiety. Any psychological pressure makes one more susceptible to high blood pressure.
Lower High Blood Pressure
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): This exceptional herb is an effective anti-stress medication. Its adaptogenic effect helps in reducing anxiety and hypertension which is extremely helpful in thwarting the chance of heart attack or several heart problems.
Garlic (Allium sativum): From ancient times garlic is known for its effectivity in healing up heart problems. It is a well-known fact that garlic supplements are extremely useful in lowering cholesterol levels, thwarting and clotting of blood inside blood vessels, preventing plaque formation as well as destroying the existing ones. It also improves blood circulation thereby preventing high blood pressure.
High Blood Pressure Treatment – Lower High Blood Pressure
Dilguard – This herbal medication is formulated with a unique combination of a number of natural herbs which have long been cherished as the best herbs for heart related diseases.
Besides, Arjuna, Garlic, and Guggul herbal capsules are extremely effective cardio-protective herbal supplements which would undoubtedly be useful in maintaining normal blood pressure throughout your life.