Gout is an acute form of arthritis caused due to defective uric acid metabolism resulting in severe inflammation and swelling in the joints. It is chiefly found in men who commonly get affected at big toe, heel, ankle, wrist, hand, or elbow. It appears suddenly causing devastating pain and disappears after 5 to 10 days, and keeps recurring.
Gout Types and Gout Symptoms
Following types of gouts are quite prominent
- Podagra: Around 75% of patients suffer from this type of gout. It occurs at the big toe.
- Asymptomatic hyperuricemia: It is early stage of gout where serum urate level augments but it does not manifest any symptoms.
- Acute gout: With the progression of gout the patient experiences sudden attack of hypertension and nephrolithiasis with severe back pain and it would recur frequently. Affected joints would become hot, tender, inflamed, dusky red, or cyanotic.
- Intercritical gout: It is the stage between the gout attacks devoid of any symptoms.
- Tophaceous gout: At the final stage gout sets in with chronic painful polyarthritis, big subcutaneous tophi in cartilage, fingers, ulnar sides of forearms, knees, feet, ear, and internal organs like kidneys and myocardium.
Common Gout Symptoms:
- Excruciating joint pain
- Swelling of joints
- Tenderness at the joint area
- Reddish or purplish skin around the affected area
Causes of Gout
Gout is different from other forms of arthritis. It builds up through the following steps:
- Our body breaks down accumulated wastes containing purines into uric acid which get released into our bloodstream.
- Kidney filters out uric acid of the blood and it is then get excreted via urine.
- When body produces excessive amount of uric acid kidney fails to remove it completely causing a buildup of this acid in our bloodstream which is known as hyperuricemia.
- Over the course of decades hyperuricemia might turn into deposits of crystalline uric acid throughout the joints, tendons, ear tips, and kidneys.
- Our natural immune system gets alerted to the urate crystal buildup which creates an inflammatory response including the symptoms like pain, redness, swelling, and injured joint tissue which signifies gout.
In males uric acid production increases during puberty and that is why most of patients of gout are men. It might take up to 20 long years of hyperuricemia to manifest gout symptoms and men often develop this disease at late thirties or early forties.
Women develop gout at the later stage of life, especially after menopause. It is because estrogen hormone prevents hyperuricemia and during menopause urate crystals starts to deposit as estrogen level drops.
Traumatic pain of gout might be triggered due to any events like a stubbed toe, an infection, surgery, fatigue, mental stress, or even a drinking spree.
Some of the prominent causes of gout are
- Genetic influence
- Wrong diet
- Excessive alcoholism
- Use of diuretics
- Kidney failure
- High blood pressure
- Lack of physical activities
- Presence of high cholesterol and triglyceride in the blood
- Some health disorders like lymphoma, leukemia, or hemolytic anemia.
- Reducing heavy body-weight or restricting alcohol consumption could be helpful in warding off gout.
- Regular exercise is the best way to evade gout attack. Manly three types of exercises are preferred:
- Range-of-motion: Helps in improving normal joint movements and flexibility
- Strengthening: Helps in increasing muscle strength
- Aerobic: Promotes cardiovascular health and reduces joint inflammation
- Consumption of food items containing high purine content such as, red meat, organ meat and gravies, shellfish, sardines, roe, herring, mackerel, scallops, anchovies, mushrooms, cooked spinach, rhubarb, yeast, asparagus, beer, and wine should be highly restricted.
- Refined carbohydrates like sugar and white bread and pasta should be strictly prohibited.
- Due to high acidity problems use of vitamin C should be avoided.
- Take low-fat foods such as skim milk, fat-free cheeses, fruits, vegetables, and baked foods instead of fried.
- Drink at least six to eight glasses of water on a daily basis in order to promote uric acid excretion.
Home Remedies for Gout
- Bananas are considered extremely useful for curing gout. Take a diet of this fruit for 3 to 4 days.
- Apples are well-known for gout treatment. Take one apple everyday after meal.
- Mix the juice of half lemon in one glass of water and drink it thrice a day.
- Drink half cup of French Beans juice on a daily basis for one month. It is quite useful for gout.
Ginger (Zingiber officinale): Modern study states that the ginger root prevents the formation of prostaglandins and leukotrienes, which are responsible for pan and inflammation. It is also useful for musculoskeletal pain and muscular discomfort.
Ashwagandha (Withania somniferum): Roots of this herb are widely known for its effectivity in treating “rheumatism” and inflammation. It is an analeptic and works as a stimulant for the central nervous system. Other than these it is also extremely effective for high blood pressure, poor immune and erectile problems.
Effective Herbal Supplements for Gout Treatments
Arthcare capsules are extremely useful as powerful pain reliever. A number of strong antioxidant and antirheumatic herbs efficiently work for the betterment of the joint mobility and flexibility.
Arthcare oil It is a strong anti-inflammatory agent which effectively alleviates the pain originating from different sources like joint tissue, tendons or ligaments, muscular strain, or extreme fatigue.
Shallaki (Boswellia serrata): Latest research has confirmed its utility in healing up gout, rheumatoid arthritis. It is quite effective in getting relief from swelling, pain, and morning stiffness, and improving blood supply to joints and accelerating cartilage formation.
Arthcare Oil and Arthcare Capsules are the best herbal supplements available for gout and other rheumatic problems. These are formulated with a number of highly esteemed herbal extracts which strengthens bone tissues, mitigates inflammation, and promote free movements of bone joints and muscles. Other than gout it would give you relief from back pain, rheumatic pains, joint pains, etc.
Herbal capsules of Shallaki, Ashwagandha, and Ginger are also extremely useful for getting relief from gout in no time.