Cough is one of most common health problems which almost everyone in this world must have encountered at least once in his lifetime. As per Ayurveda it is known as kaasa which is quite a troublesome condition of throat. This is often accompanied with thick or thin mucus or sometimes it is like smoker’s cough which is manifested as chronic dry cough.
Cough is nothing but the sudden and noisy expulsion of air from lungs. It initiates due to irritation in the air passage and this unintended action is to keep the respiratory tract free from irritating material.
What Causes Cough
Common causes of cough could be enlisted as below:
- Seasonal changes often bring about this health condition. This acute type of cough usually settles down within less than a week or two
- Some ailments like pneumonia, acute heart attack, clogging of blood vessels of the lungs due to clot formation, bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, cancer, or sarcoidosis could result in cough
- Smoking and asthmatic conditions are often associated with cough
- Some conditions like gastro-esophageal reflux involve expulsion of the content of stomach upwards through GI tract which get into trachea causing cough
- A few drugs like angiotensin create cough as a result of their therapeutic action
- Allergic reactions are often involved with coughing. Dust, pet dander, cigarette smoke, pollens, pipe smoke, low environmental humidity, etc. are common irritants which could initiate an allergic condition
- Sometimes the environmental factors inside a chemical industry or mines could be responsible for coughing in the employees
- As per Ayurveda cough arises due to kapha dosha. Food items usually aggravate Kapha dosha triggering cough
Cough Types and Cough Symptoms
Coughing due to some infection is usually manifested with fever, body pain, sore throat, nausea and vomiting, headache, sinus, chills, and post nasal drip. Non-infectious cough is usually characterized by simple cough with wheezing and roughness in the throat.
Cough could be classified into two broad types:
Productive Cough: It is characterized by the expulsion of phlegm or mucus. Color of mucus could be varied from white to yellow or sometimes it could be bloody too which is a serious indication and needs quick medical intervention. Patients often feel a tingling sensation due to the presence of mucus at the throat area. In this condition it is advisable to spit the sticky mucus in the wash basin each time instead of swallowing it inside which would worsen the situation.
Nonproductive cough: This is dry cough where there would not be any discharge of mucus along with cough. This cough creates more discomfort in breathing.
As per Ayurveda cough is classified into five major types:
Vataj kaasa: Vata dosha is mainly responsible for this cough. It is associated with pain in flanks, lungs, and chest area. The nature of the cough is dry with dry mouth.
Pittaja kaasa: This type of cough arises due to pitta dosha. The symptoms are burning sensation in the chest and mild to moderate fever followed by nausea and vomiting.
Kaphaja kaasa: Kapha dosha is responsible for Kaphaja kaasa. A sweet taste in the mouth, heavy feelings at the chest area, coated tongue, and headache and heaviness in the head are the characteristics of this condition. A tingling sensation at the throat and coughing followed by the release of cough or mucus is quite frequent.
Kshayaja: Kshayaja arises due to severe infection. People who are engaged in excessive sexual act or suppress natural defecation or urination might experience this cough. Generally kshayaja is associated with fever, burning sensation, edema, and bloody mucus discharge through mouth.
Kshataja: People who are engaged in excessive physical works like too much horse riding, carrying heavy loads than his or her strength, and fighting against someone having superior strength. Kshataja is characterized by dry cough, purulent bloody discharge, throat pain, pricking sensation at the chest area, fever, breathlessness, and thirst.
If left untreated cough could turn into serious diseases. A simple common cold could easily turn into chronic cough and in absence of proper medical care it could become kshayam which is similar to tuberculosis.
- Quit smoking and stay away from public places where smoking is allowed
- Avoid congested, dusty, polluted, and unhygienic area
- If you are allergic to some allergens like dust, pet dander, cigarette smoke, pollens, pipe smoke, low environmental humidity, etc. then try to avoid them
- If you are prone to catching cold then avoid ice-cream and cold drinks
- Limit hot, spicy, and oily foods as these encourage coughing sensation
- Take vegetable soups
- Add ginger, black pepper, and garlic to your diet
- Cloves are quite effective for cough
Herbal Cough Remedies
Holy basil (Ocimum sanctum): This amazing herb is extremely effective in rejuvenating the entire respiratory system. It has strong anti-inflammatory property which helps in promoting the health of chest, lungs, and throat. This herb has antimicrobial and expectorant properties which are quite useful in enhancing immunity against infections and healing up respiratory tract disorders. It is widely used for conditions like cough and sore throat.
Vaasaa (Adhatoda vascia): This herb is known for its usefulness for upper respiratory tract infections and also helps in liquefying viscid mucus. Vaasaa is mucolytic and mucokynatic in nature and is widely used as a mild expectorant for treating cough, cold, whooping cough, chronic bronchitis, and asthmatic conditions.
Kaasani (Cichorum endivia): Due to its scrapping properties it is extremely useful for removing mucus and healing up cough.
Recommended Cough Remedies
Yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra): This herb is extremely effective as an expectorant and helps in soothing sore throat and cough. It contains glycyrrhizin as its main constituent which helps in suppressing histamine production and treating respiratory tract infections. This herb is a strong demulcent which sooth respiratory tract clearing the congestion due to mucus accumulation. Check this himalaya product on amazon.
Ginger (Zingiber officinale): The extract of this herb possesses antitussive property which is quite useful for healing cough. It is a natural antihistamine and quite useful for relieving chest congestion. You can buy ginger paste or even buy ginger tea.
Holy Basil Herbal capsules are the best natural remedy for any sort of cough and respiratory problems. This herbal medicine is formulated with the purest extract of Tulsi preserving the optimum medicinal values of this herb. This medicine is completely natural and safe for patients of any age.
You can also use Tulsi present at every home but for capsule you can check on amazon.