Cirrhosis is the name of a chronic and alarming liver disease in which the normal liver cells are destroyed and transformed into scarred tissue. Once this degeneration process starts, the liver cells are never restored themselves and results in build up of scarred tissue. Gradually it damages the liver and prevents the normal flow of blood in the liver. If this condition persists then this might invite further hazards like bleeding, liver cancer, coma, and even death.
Causes of Cirrhosis of the Liver
Alcoholic cirrhosis: Alcohol abuse is the chief influential factor playing behind liver cirrhosis in most of the cases. This has a unique name which is known as alcoholic cirrhosis. Although alcohol tolerance level varies from person to person, yet long-term consumption of alcohol on a regular basis always intensifies the risk of cirrhosis. Studies revealed that most of the liver diseases in the United States are caused by alcohol abuse and cirrhosis is not an exception either.
Hepatitis B and C: However, a few other liver disorders like hepatitis C and hepatitis B might also be responsible. Hepatitis is one kind of liver inflammation that often occurs due to some viral or bacterial infection or toxic matters. Some times it might also be instigated by the body’s own immune system. Out of many other forms of Hepatitis, cirrhosis is mainly instigated by B and C.
Hepatitis B is a rather serious type of hepatitis in which is transmitted through blood or body fluids of the contaminated person. Hepatitis C is also spread in the same manner from person to person but this is a more deadly type since there is no cure, no vaccine to prevent this disease. Hepatitis is usually identified by some typical symptoms like fever, pain in the muscles and joints, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, enlarged liver, etc.
Other disorders: Sometimes a disorder in the liver drainage system, autoimmune inflammation of the liver, or even certain medications gives rise to cirrhosis. A few types of genetic diseases might also amplify the risk of cirrhosis:
- Shortage of a particular liver enzyme called alpha 1-antitrypsin
- Galactosemia or lack of milk-digesting enzyme
- Shortage in glycogen which results in inability to convert sugar into energy
- Abnormality in absorption of iron content which becomes an excess and stored in liver, pancreas and other organs
- Similar deposits of copper in the liver might also be responsible.
- Recent studies have revealed that obesity also augments the risk of hepatitis and cirrhosis.
Symptoms of Liver Problems
Symptoms of cirrhosis and Liver Problems are varied and numerous.
- Anemia or lack of hemoglobin
- Diminished sexual desire
- Fever and other symptoms that have resemblance with flu
- Loss of appetite and indigestion accompanied by nausea
- Abdominal pain and diarrhea
- Redness of the palms
- Abnormal weight loss or gain
- Fatigue, lethargy, and feelings of weakness
- Hallucinations and slurred speech
- Neuritis or nervous inflammation
- Indications of Jaundice
- Bloody stools and dark yellow or almost brown urine
- Stay away from excessive alcohol
- Take proper care during blood transfusion and avoid blood contact with unknown people in order to prevent hepatitis B and C. Immunization against hepatitis B and safe sex are always advisable for evading these traumatic diseases.
- Try not to inhale any chemicals or come in skin contact with such elements.
- Unhealthy and dirty drinking water and food stuffs are always avoidable.
- Having multiple sex partners often become the cause of hepatitis.
- Contact your doctor immediately if you have chronic hepatitis.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Maintain a balanced diet with proper protein and sugar content
- Stop alcohol consumption
- Maintain physical activity as per your energy level.
- Avoid heavy exercise that is strenuous for you.
Herbal Remedies for Liver Diseases and Cirrhosis of the Liver
Herbal Supplements for Liver Cirrhosis
Livup capsule is a unique combination of four esteemed herbal bequests which are extremely useful in revitalizing damaged liver and healing up hepatitis B. Livup is also useful for cirrhosis caused due to alcoholism. This medication effectively treats enlarged liver and several other liver complications. Check out Livup on amazon.
Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna): This tree bark acts as an anti-ischemic and cardioprotective agent which is potent enough to prevent hypertension and ischemic heart disease. This is highly suggestible for patients of cirrhosis since it works like a tonic for them. You can buy Arjuna from amazon.
Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba): This herb is long been known for its wonderful usefulness in alleviating hepatic disorders. It effectively protects liver cells from malicious toxic agents which cause hepatotoxicity. This herb contains ecliptine as an active component which helps in healing up liver disorders and also controls serum transaminase and serum bilirubin level thereby preventing a number of liver diseases. Check out Bhringaraj on amazon.
Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia): This amazing herb is frequently used in order to enhance natural immunity and to alleviate HIV/AIDS and other immune-related disorders, and pitta problems. It is useful in mitigating fever and is also used as blood purifier. This herb is also useful in some diseases like jaundice, indigestion, constipation, hemorrhoids, dysentery, and cancer. Check out more detail on Guduchi.
Licorice (Glycyrhhiza): The root extract of this herb is often used as an active component of various herbal supplements in alleviating many ailments including liver disorders. Licorice are also known as Yashtimadhu or Mulethi.
Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa): In a research study it has been found that the alcoholic extract of punarnava has significant effectivity against experimentally induced carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity. It is also helpful in inducing normal bile flow in rats indicating its strong choleretic property.
Arjuna, Bhringaraj, Guduchi, and Licorice herbal supplements are quite useful for numerous liver diseases.